Saturday, February 18, 2012

Random Saturday Night Thoughts

It's Saturday night. I must be getting old because I'm doing laundry and wishing that my neighbor would turn down the music. Why is it, by the way, that when people blast the tunes, they are always shitty tunes? Does the neighbor ever crank up a Shins record? Led Zeppelin? Something cool and obscure like Kraftwerk? Oh no, its full-on Dire Straights...MTV-era Dire Straights.


Enough of the mundane...In no particular order I can recommend the following:
  • Espresso. I'm partial to Peet's, but I'm not religious. As long as it isn't drip coffee, I'm in. But Starbucks burns their beans. I'm just saying...
  • Sunsets. It's cliché, but when is the last time you went out of your way to watch the sun go down. And yet, it happens everyday, is quite beautiful, and is free.
  • Eating fewer carbs. This is where I would normally place a picture of a great big fat person pushing their overloaded shopping cart around Walmart. But I'm feeling good tonight and the thought of trolling the internet to find said picture is too much of a bummer, even for me.
I did a 5 mile trail run this morning through the Hermosa Beach Greenbelt. It is quite awesome to have this place to run within a stone's throw of my house. 


And as mentioned in a previous post, the fact that I'm running at all is a bit of a surprise to begin with. But if I could only run on a track or sidewalk or a tread mill at the gym, well, I'm not sure it would happen at all. There's something about a trail that makes it a completely different experience.

Another totally fascinating fact which absolutely needs to be recorded into the blogosphere is that I've moved into "minimal" running shoes. It is a different feel for sure, but I think I'm digging them. The idea is that when you go minimal, or closer to barefoot, you are forced to land on the ball or mid-sole. Which is more physiologically correct and will help you avoid injuries, over striding, heel striking, etc. I've only had them a week, but so far the Merrell Trail Gloves are feeling good.


We're funny, modern human beings. Spending $100 for a "minimal" shoe in order to get closer to "running naturally". Well, I'll cop to doing some absurd shit. But I'm still not gonna rock out to Mark Knopfler. A man must retain some semblance of pride.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment