Monday, April 9, 2012

Wine and How It Gets That Way

I used to have a blog dedicated entirely to the world of wine. I also used to work at a small winery. I don't do either any longer. But I'm still drinking wine.

The thing with wine, and the reason I got a little burned out on blogging about it, is that it all boils to down to taste and yet we all seem hell-bent on proving why the wine we like is the best. It's a game you cannot win. I'll use a totally different, yet strangely similar, subject to make the point. You like Kenny G, I like John Coltrane. Now, I know that Coltrane trumps Mr G. But there is no math to point to, there is no actual score. Taste be taste. Go spin your Kenny G if you must (but really, I hope not).

So anyway, I know what I know and I like what I like. The interwebs are filled with people arguing about stupid shit. The world of wine, while presumably the domain of the elite and educated, is no different. There are chat threads where Robert Parker is the villain and others where Neil Rosenthal is the bad guy. For the record, I like the wines Neil imports, and I avoid many of the top "Parker Point" wines. I'm just tired of arguing about the reasons why.

The nice thing about wine is you decide. The subject can be quite complex and a person can get in deep. But at the end of the trail I hope you're at least drinking something you like and not simply trying to defend a philosophy all the way to your grave.

I'm planning on making the odd post here and there about wines that I really like. I'll kick things off here by saying that if I could only drink one wine it would definitely be this one.


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment